What Is Diarrhea ?
Diarrhea can be described as having frequent and loose, watery stools. Symptoms that may accompany diarrhea include vomiting, cramping, thirst, and abdominal pain. Some people may have a fever as well.
It is rarely a serious condition, except in young children and older adults. Diarrhea causes the loss of both fluids and electrolytes (minerals), which can lead to serious problems.
Causes Of Diarrhea ?
Diarrhea can exist alone or as a symptom of other problems. Among the many possible causes of diarrhea are:
- incomplete digestion of food
- food poisoning
- food allergies
- excess alcohol consumption
- bacterial, viral or other infection
- consumption of contaminated water
- laxatives, and sorbitol (for young children), are all known to cause diarrhea in some people.
- The use of certain drugs, including antibiotics such as tetracycline, clindamycin (Cleocin), or ampicillin can also contribute to diarrhea.
- Inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, or Crohn's disease, pancreatic disease and cancer may all lead to severe intestinal upsets.
- Emotional stress can also cause diarrhea
- Acute diarrhea accompanied by fever and mucus or blood in the stool can be a sign of infection or the presence of parasites
Natural Remedies For Diarrhea
- Herbs drunk as teas: chamomile, pau d'arco, raspberry leaves, fenugreek, ginger
- Grapefruit seed extract: has anti-parasitic, anti-bacterial properties
- Wild Oregano Oil: antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, and antiviral agents.
- Drink plenty of liquids such as hot carob drink (carob stops diarrhea), clear broth soups, weak tea with honey, carrot juice, a flat soft drink such as sprite with an added pinch or two of salt.
- Avoid high fiber foods
- Drink Rice water
- Avoid dairy products, fatty foods, gluten foods,
If you are aware of any health problem which may compromise your general health, it is important to seek treatment. A Health and Wellness Counselor may help you, to bring you back in balance and to good health through healthy eating and living, especially a proper diet suited for your condition and the use of natural remedies, herbs and supplements.
Barbara is a qualified nutritionist and Health & Wellness Coach.
Lose Weight Live Longer and Improve Your Health In Only 12 Weeks. The key to long-term health and weight loss success is to follow some key steps and create new habits.